Shiva

Sometimes I feel Terri has no idea how powerful his paintings can be, how humbled someone is when receiving one. Or by the fact that he has the ability to do what he does even.

They almost have the opposite effect on him. They seem to at times cause him such self doubt, to shut him down, he worries, will people like his work? Will friends feel obliged to hang this on their walls if he was to give them one? How can he call himself a painter when there are so many talented people out there? Silly thoughts really, but they are real to him.



This past month he has been working so well, his room is alive with the paintings he is working on, all in different stages, it is so exciting for me to come home from work and see the work he has done. To watch these blank canvasses come to life.



He has a commission for mid September, and is also working on a gift for the family friend that married us, Atin. A Hindu priest, Terri thought a painting of Shiva would be perfect for him, and it is.



We were to go visit Atin tonight and give him the painting as a surprise thank you gift, but it is not finished yet, Terri has been struggling this week. He can be so caught up in painting for weeks on end, then he just seems to not want to go near them.

In fact it seems to me he avoids them, almost hates them, they represent things about himself he does not like or want to admit, even if they are self imposed feelings. He struggles with the endings, feels he cannot finish, he gets close and then will not face them.

I do not know how to help him keep the momentum going, I have tried. But in the end like any of us and the jobs we have, we have to find it within ourselves to be inspired.

I encourage him, praise his work, and tell him my honest opinions on how I am blown away and the pure joy and delight I feel when I get to walk into his studio and see the work just a little more ... alive.



But when he is frustrated with his work any words from me do not help help him pick up that paint brush.

Sometimes I wish other artists partners read this blog, OK sometimes I wish anyone but just me read this blog ...lol.

I wonder about their stories, there are so many artists that keep blogs, but what about those that live with and love the artists.

I am curious to know the story behind the artists. I want to know their partners story, how do they support and encourage? How do they help when the person they love so deeply is struggling?



When I told Atin that we were unable to come tonight because Terri has been working on a painting and it is not finished yet, these were his words ...

"This is best surprise news I have ever got - a painting done just for me, it touches me to the core of my heart, I feel happy and humble at the same time."

I know what he means, I have been with Terri for over fours years now and I am still humbled when I see one of his pieces born and then come to life.

Diana

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas painting ...

Man Rinaldo

The Kindess of Others