Encouragment

Today I am envious of him, envious of his talents, envious that he gets to stay at home, envious he gets to make a second pot of coffee before he gets to spend the day in his studio.

Maybe I am envious today because I feel a little sad, I am unsure why, maybe it is the weather, it is a dreary July day here today. Maybe there is no reason except humans are emotional beings and sometimes we just feel a little sad.

I just know that today I feel like I too want to be in a room; painting or drawing, sipping coffee and listening to quiet music as it plays in the background. I want to be lost for hours in a painting, I do not even know how to paint or draw, well not well at least.

Terri says everyone can paint or draw, it is a learned skill, I do not agree with him.

That is not quite right, I think to a point you can teach some of the skills necessary to paint or draw. But there is a natural gift that comes through for some people that no amount of teaching will ever change.

That is, in my opinion what separates the artist from the hobbyist.

Over the last four years I have with his encouragement created many paintings, and drawings. He is always so full of encouragement for my projects. He even wants to hang them on our walls, god love the man.







Instead I give them to my daughter; she has to take them I am her Mom after all. My friends get them for Christmas; they too have to take them, the price they pay for being my friend.







Without his encouragement I would not have over 7,000 photographs on my computer. I think photography is the best gift he has given to me, and in many ways he did give it to me. His encouragement is priceless to me.



We know people, with cameras worth thousands of dollars, but we never see them take photos, we rarely see their work because they rarely take out those cameras. I am never without mine, ever.



I was intimidated by the "photographers" initially, but with Terri’s encouragement I am not anymore. He once told me that I have as much of a claim to call myself a photographer as they do because I am out there every day taking photos.



His encouragement and belief in me has the ability to make me believe in myself too.



Where was this man during my teenage years?

Diana

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas painting ...

The Kindess of Others

Keisha